I read recently that, for the moment at least, Jeff Bezos, the man that launched Amazon, the world’s largest on-line retailer, is the richest man in the world with a personal worth of something over 90 billion dollars. Bezos also owns the Washington Post newspaper, and a space booster company called Blue Horizon.
First point… it is obscene that any one person has $90 billion in wealth. A billion dollars is a thousand million dollars. How much wealth is enough? For sure, no person needs even one billion, let along 90 billion. But, let’s leave that a subject for another day.
This blog is my prescription. It’s about what i would spend my money on if I had 90 billion dollars.
- Universal access to contraception – There are 7.5 billion people on Earth. That’s three times what there were when I was born. It’s also probably three times more than the Earth can sustain. The world needs reproductive choice for all, combined with education and opportunity that is gender equal.
- Economic Fairness – Every person should be entitled to at least a minimum level of dignity. Government that effectively represents all citizens is the remedy
- Respect for nature and the planet’s living biosphere. First, do no harm.
- Transition ASAP to clean, renewable sources of energy.
- Eating healthy, which means little or no animal flesh.
Wealth comes to a privileged few. When more than half of all humans on Earth are barely surviving and have very little dignity in their lives, the privileged few must step up and lift up those in need, while working for a future in which all humans have dignity and all life is valued.